The Betts-Longworth Historic District boundaries and conservation guidelines were adopted by the Cincinnati City Council on May 26, 1982. The majority of the district’s historic buildings and residences date from the late 19th century. The district is recognized for its Italianate style of architecture, which was became popular at the time of the Civil War. It also was listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its Federal, Italianate and Queen Anne architecture. There are a also exemplary examples of the Greek Revival architectural style. The district is home to The Betts House, the oldest brick home in Ohio (1804), and the oldest Jewish cemetery west of Pennsylvania (1821).
The Betts-Longworth Historic District Group is a non-profit limited liability corporation that manages property, community outreach, beautification, and business development within the historic district’s boundaries. The organization facilitates monthly community meetings to increase resident engagement in this idyllic downtown neighborhood.